Thursday, October 4, 2007

Smell of books

I took on volunteer work for the church library in St. Benedicts. It's 2 hours every Thursday from 10am-12nn.

Today was my first day. I came in at around 11 to get my orientation. My first task was to help in cataloguing books. I had to write the book's information in a record book and 3 cards.

I was surprised that I enjoyed the hour I spent there. I don't know if it's because I'm doing something new or it's because I'm surrounded by one of my favorite things -- books. :)

When I entered the library, the first thing I noticed was the smell. It smelled like heaven to me. hehehe... It was the smell of books. It didn't smell like moldy pages or old leather. For me, it was the smell of knowledge and comfort. Maybe it is because I like to be surrounded by them that I immediately felt comfortable with the place. It was nothing like the school library. The school library felt cold to me (not cold temperature-wise because the room temp is warm). It felt detached. It wasn't homey unlike St. Ben's. In the church library, I just want to curl up with a good book in the couch and read all day.

The time passed quickly and suddenly it was already 12. So I left the library looking forward to Thursdays.

No comments: